
-
Iconic Paris hotel Lutetia taken over by Mandarin Oriental
-
Nepal capital chokes as wildfires rage
-
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
-
Liverpool's Slot happy to let Premier League title bid take its course
-
Tesla sales fall again in Germany amid Musk backlash
-
Italy's skiing champion Brignone air-lifted to hospital after crash
-
Defending champion I Am Maximus heads final field for Grand National
-
Rubio says US committed to NATO - but tells allies to spend more
-
India eyes opportunity despite Trump tariffs hit
-
UK show reveals tawdry tale of Shakespeare folio theft
-
Top Russian official in Washington for talks on improving ties
-
Sinner's former physio to blame for failed dope tests, says ex-physical trainer
-
Germany slams Trump tariffs, US tech titans in crosshairs
-
Hungary announces ICC withdrawal as Israel's Netanyahu visits
-
Trump's tariffs sting Asian giants, including US allies
-
India says 'examining the implications' of US tariffs
-
Evenepoel set to make injury return at Tour de Romandie
-
USA sole bidder for 2031 Women's World Cup, UK set to host in 2035 - Infantino
-
McLaren's Norris says it's 'our turn' for success
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Trump tariffs spark fears for Asian jobs, exporting sectors
-
Runners fly to North Korea for first post-Covid Pyongyang Marathon
-
Hamilton rubbishes claims he's lost faith in Ferrari
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
-
Sri Lanka's crackdown on dogs for India PM's visit sparks protest
-
S Korea police raise security levels ahead of impeachment verdict
-
Tsunoda vows to bring 'something different' after Red Bull promotion
-
Verstappen not happy with Tsunoda-Lawson Red Bull swap
-
Experts accuse 54 top Nicaragua officials of grave abuses
-
Remains of 30th victim of Los Angeles fires found
-
EU to target US online services after Trump tariffs: France
-
How Trump's 'liberation day' tariffs will impact China
-
Search for long-missing flight MH370 suspended: Malaysia minister
-
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
-
Lawson vows to prove he belongs in F1 after shock of Red Bull axing
-
Australia sweats through hottest 12 months on record: official data
-
Livestock theft is central to jihadist economy in west Africa
-
South African artist champions hyenas in 'eco-queer' quest
-
Danish PM in 'unity' Greenland visit amid US takeover threats
-
Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
-
Lawson says ruthless Red Bull axing was 'tough to hear'
-
Trump escalates trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
Japan says US tariffs 'extremely regrettable', may break WTO rules
-
South Koreans anxious, angry as court to rule on impeached president
-
Juve at in-form Roma with Champions League in the balance
-
Injuries put undermanned Bayern's title bid to the test
-
Ovechkin scores 892nd goal -- three away from Gretzky's NHL record
-
Australian former rugby star Petaia signs for NFL's Chargers
-
China says opposes new US tariffs, vows 'countermeasures'
-
Athletics world watching as 'Grand Slam Track' prepares for launch

Hawaii wildfire tragedy was 'years in the making,' probe says
The scale of a tragic wildfire that swept through a Hawaiian island last year, killing over 100 people, was the result of a complex interaction of factors that were "years in the making," an official report said Friday.
Downed power lines are believed to have set fire to vegetation on the holiday idyll of Maui on August 8, with the rapidly spreading blaze leveling the historic town of Lahaina.
Fast moving flames caught islanders unaware, with some people only learning there was a fire when they saw it for themselves, leading to criticism that authorities had mishandled the disaster.
Days after the blaze and amid fierce criticism that the island's warning sirens had not been sounded, the head of Maui's emergency management agency resigned.
The second phase of a report ordered by the state's attorney general was published Friday, and concluded that a confluence of factors and institutional failings had contributed to the heavy toll in both life and property.
"The devastation caused by the Lahaina fire cannot be connected to one specific organization, individual, action or event," said Steve Kerber of the Fire Safety Research Institute, an independent agency appointed by the state to examine the disaster.
"The conditions that made this tragedy possible were years in the making," he told reporters in Honolulu on Friday.
The report said local governments, businesses and the population at large did not sufficiently understand the risk from wildfires, often ignoring so-called "red-flag" days when wind conditions allow a fire to spread rapidly.
It also concluded that infrastructure standards, including how communities are planned, were decades out of date, and insufficient attention was paid to keeping populated areas free of combustible vegetation that feeds fires.
And it said the emergency response to the blaze once it broke out was uncoordinated.
"Maui county incident management operations... consisted of a siloed command structure that contributed to a lack of communication both to the public and responding agencies," the report said.
The report, which was published online alongside more than 850 gigabytes of material collected during the investigation, comes just over a year after the blaze, the deadliest wildfire in the United States in at least a century.
A mammoth legal settlement announced last month between victims' representatives and a coalition of the state of Hawaii, Maui County, and Hawaiian Electric will see $4 billion paid out for losses.
Hawaii Governor Josh Green has previously said recovery from the devastation will cost $12 billion and could take years.
Attorney General Anne Lopez said the report issued Friday was not intended to lay blame, but instead to improve the way that Hawaii as a whole prepares for extreme events.
She said the over 100 recommendations it made were timely because of the growing threat from fires, whose ferocity and prevalence is being exacerbated by human-caused climate change.
"There have been over 1,500 wildfire ignitions requiring a department response since August 8, 2023, of those, seven... resulted in significant fires," she told reporters.
"I think the risk is real and it's a present danger, and climate change will only continue to make these things worse."
E.Ramalho--PC